|William Crompton Family History
Contributed By MoserAmyLouise1
|Crompton Family History
Crompton is an old and honored surname, and is principally of English origin. According to authorities on the origin of
names, it is of local meaning and was applied when surnames first came into vogue to newcomers of communities in England
who came from "Crompton," a place in the County of Lancashire. "Crompton" is interpreted literally as "homestead at
the bend of a river." It is said also that Crompton was in use as a surname in Ireland as far back as the 12th century.
William Crompton was born in Kearsley, England, 29th April, 1832. He married Hannah Hobson 1 September, 1852. Their
first five children: Jane, David, John, Rachel, and Joseph were born in England. William was converted to the Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Baptized 15 August, 1855. Hannah followed by being baptized on 2 august, 1856. In
1868 William and his family came from England to America. They crossed the mountains with an ox team. He assisted in
the construction of the railroad. His next three children, William, Mary, and Walter were born in Utah.
William was one of the early settlers in Almy, Wyoming where he moved in 1870. In 1871, William and Hannah received
their endowments and were sealed as husband and wife in The Endowment House in Salt Lake City. His children, Squire,
Sarah, Lilly and Carrie were born in Wyoming.
William engaged in mining for the Union Pacific Coal Co. in Almy. He homesteaded a quarter section of land and built a
home. This land joined the U.P. Railroad Co. land and they asked to purchase his homestead. He sold it, and on 23 June
1875 purchased 40 acres for $200.00 from an old trapper, Adam Coon. This land bordered the river and was covered with
sagebrush and willow. William cleared the land and built a log house. Later, he converted it into a barn. The two story
brick house that William built in 1886 had walls that were three bricks wide. These bricks were colored from the blood of
cattle. The plans for the house came from England with a design of tall windows and curved decorative pieces in the
gables. Four large rooms, two upstairs and two down with a wooden kitchen added on, and a dirt cellar completed the
house. A stone in the north wall read "Crompton's View, 1886." William and his sons Squire and Walt, developed a fine
ranch at Crompton's View.
Squire was born 17 February, 1873 in Almy, Wyoming. He married Lillian Hutchinson 20 December, 1895 in Evanston,
Wyoming. They had four children: Roy, Fred (died at 3 months), Rose, born 12 February, 1900 in Evanston, Wyoming and
Ruel Lester. Squire died of quick pneumonia on 25 July, 1904 at the age of 31. Lillian was left with three small children to
raise and a ranch to run. She supported them by operating a dairy and also by boarding men from the coal mines in her
home on the Crompton ranch. She later married a Mr. A. J. Wardel. From this marriage, Rose had one half sister,
Elizabeth (Beth) Wardel and one half brother, Charles Wardel.
Rose married Martin Fowkes Harris 22 August, 1917 in Evanston, Wyoming. The following year, on 12 June 1918 they
were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple. Rose and Martin had three children, Martin Junior, Mildred Lucille and Harry Lee.
Rose died of cancer on 3 March, 1959 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Today, the Crompton Ranch is being run by members of the fifth generation Crompton family. They raise Angus cattle and
sheep and put up abut 500 tons of hay a year. With deeded ground and leases they have 2900 acres. They carry on a
tradition that is a hundred and fourteen years old.
Compiled by Amy L. Harris Moser, 2004. Taken from "The Crompton Family" by Nadine C. Crompton
29 Dec 1827
Kearsley, Lancashire, England
9 October 1826
|David and Jane Rees at Castle Rock, Utah c. 1900