|Jean Cardon, son of Philippe son of Jean and Marthe Marie Tourn his wife, was born 7 August 1824 and the 15th of the same month he received baptism, for
which he was presented by Jaques Gaudin and by Marie Cardon, aunt of the child. (From film 193415, Parish record of Prefecture de Pignerol, Commune de
Prarustin, Culte Protestant (Vaudois) “Naissances” 1822)
Father Philippe, Mother Marie, Jean, Catherine, Philippe, Marie, and Jean Paul were baptized by Mormon missionaries in 1852.
From 2 Feb to 24 Oct 1854 all the family except Anne moved to Utah Territory. They first traveled to London where they waited for two weeks. Then they
went to Liverpool and waited seventeen more for the ship to be completed. In all there were four hundred and eighty-five passengers, all Latter-day Saints,
except the ship captain and crew. After the long voyage they arrived at New Orleans. They then transferred from the sailing ship into a steamer. After a
siege of Cholera they were able to go up the Mississippi to Kansas and camped there on the bank of the Mississippi above Kansas City. For the journey to Utah
Jean and his two older brothers had each a wagon and from three to four yokes of cattle to each wagon. After their long journey they settled at Bingham’s
Fort near Ogden.
Anna Regula Furrer came to Utah with Captain Edmond Ellsworth’s Handcart Company, the first Handcart Company. This was the same company that the
Stalles traveled with. According to the family of Jean, Brigham Young introduced him to Anna when she arrived with the company. She had come alone from
Switzerland after joining the church and being baptized in the “River Ruder Rone” in 1854. Anna went to live “at the Shazierre home” in Weber County.
(This must have been her way of spelling Cazier because there were Caziers very early in Ogden). Anna was a physician, a graduate of the Geneva Hospital.
She spoke French, Italian and German. She was 28 years old, Jean was 32 and Brigham Young had often voiced his feeling that there should be no unmarried,
eligible young men or women.
They were married in October and went to live in Lynne Ward, later part of Ogden. Except for the “Move South” in 1958, the lived here all the rest of their
THE OGDEN STANDARD EXAMINER DEC. 9, 1956 READ;
100 year-old-waterway was built by Pioneers
All pitched in with a homemade scraper, shovels, grubbing hoes and picks. Early farmers pitched in to dig the waterway through the rocky ground. Even the
women helped according to an old article. Mrs. John Cardon worked alongside her husband while the canal bed was dug through what was known as the, cut,
from the mouth of the canyon to just east of the 12th street.
All their seven children were born in Ogden, and all were born without a doctor. Anna knew how to take care of herself, and she helped countless others.
“She traveled many miles mostly on horseback to assist the sick, and the injured were brought to her home at what is now 507 Washington Blvd. In Ogden,
Anna and Jean built their first home of logs, then one of rock with three rooms. In 1887 they built a large two-story brick home. They cleared the land of
sagebrush, planted trees and gardens.
TAKEN FROM VOL. 8 DAUGHTERS OF UTAH PIONEERS PAGES 244-255
“In 1863 John Cardon, a pioneer of 1854, built the first carding mill in Weber County of pine logs. It was situated at what is now 503 Washington Blvd. To
supply the power for the mill, Cardon and his hired man, Mr. Madsen dug a ditch by hand, and the water was taken out of the Ogden River near 1251 Canyon
Road. It was the forerunner of the Lynne Irrigation Canal. Mr. Cardon made the water wheel, tables, and pickers from native lumber. The iron used in the
machinery was brought across the plains by ox team. After the mill was completed, Mr. and Mrs. Cardon did all the carding, mostly at night after the farm
work was finished. The wool was made into batts for quilts and rolls from which yarn was made. These batts and rolls were held and pinned together with
thorns from the hawthorn bushes. Wool was brought to this mill from all over Weber County and Cache Valley. The Cardons received their pay in produce.
After operating for about fifteen years, the mill was sold to a Mr. Norton and taken to Southern Utah.”
Jean and Anna’s first child, Anna Rosina, was born at Lynne, 14 February 1858.
“Conflicts between the territory and the National Government, steadily mounting through the fifties, finally were climaxed by the dispatch west of an army
which the Mormons called “Johnston’s Army” for its commander, Albert Sidney Johnston. The soldiers were sent to make a military occupation of Utah
territory and put down the “rebellion” thought to exist there. “Convinced that the persecutions they had experienced in the Middle West were about to be
renewed on a more bloody scale, Mormon leaders determined to resist”.
“In the spring of 1858 Brigham Young elected, instead of fighting, to…abandon Utah settlements. All northern Utah settlers were called on a southward
migration. Ogden residents piled what goods they could in their wagons…squared their shoulders, and turned south. If Brother Brigham thought it necessary
to migrate once again, move they would…Some made their quarters in wagons, tents and wickiups built of long canes and flags.” Lorin Farr led those who
migrated from the Ogden area, including the Cardons, to Utah Valley.
August 6, 1859 Jean and Anna’s son John David was born at Lynne (Ogden).
May 24, 1862 Jean and wife Anna were sealed in the Endowment House. On April 19, 1863 their daughter Susette Sophia was born in Ogden, died October 5.
Sometime this year they opened a general merchandise store at what has become 503 Washington Blvd., in Ogden, which they continued for several years.
Bingham’s Fort, where Jean and Anna lived became known as Lynne Branch in Weber County.
September 21, 1864 Jean and Anna’s son John Herman was born.
December 14, 1881 Jean’s son John David Cardon was married to Elizabeth Neeser.
In 1891 the Ogden 15th Ward record shows family of Jean (John) Cardon, “Wife Anna, daughters Olga Mary Drumiler and Edna May Cardon (their adopted
August 25, 1907 Jean’s wife Anna Regula Cardon died in Ogden and was buried there. The Deseret Evening News for 26 August, page 3, under the heading,
“Death of a Pioneer” said:
“The angel of death came suddenly and unexpectedly last evening to Mrs. Anna Regula Furrer Cardon, one of the oldest, must widely known pioneer women of
Ogden City, bringing sorrow not alone to her family but to a host of friends.”
“Although over 81 years of age she enjoyed comparatively good health and was around the home yesterday, as happy and spry as ever. Shortly after dinner she
went to the hammock to take a rest and was stricken with paralysis…Mrs. Cardon, when a young woman, graduated from medical college at Geneva,
Switzerland, and for many years followed her medical profession, ever being self-sacrificing to comfort and bless others. She was especially considerate of the
poor. In business circles she also took an active part in helping to build up Ogden, having erected several business blocks, terraces, and residences. She was a
most affectionate wife, and loving mother and true friend. No arrangements for the funeral will be made until her son J. Herman Cardon, a business man of
Ely, Nevada arrives.” She was buried in the Ogden Cemetery.
October 20, 1909, Jean died and was buried in Ogden Cemetery. The Deseret Evening News for 21 October 1909, page 3, said under “Recent Deaths”: “John
Cardon – at Ogden – October 20. John Cardon died from a sudden attack of apoplexy, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Charles Drumiler, 507 Washington
“Mr. Cardon was enjoying fairly good health for a man of his age, and Tuesday he felt as well as usual, being around during the day and eating a hearty meal
on the evening before retiring. Shortly after midnight, members of the family heard sounds of groaning coming from Mr. Cardon’s room. They rushed to the
room but they were too late to be of any service to the dying man. He passed away within a few seconds of their arrival at his bedside.”
“John Cardon was born in Italy, August 7, 1824, and became a member of the Mormon Church before leaving his native land. He came to Ogden in 1854, and
resided here the balance of his life. He was identified with the early building of the city and was always known to be a man of the highest integrity and
frugality. Mr. Cardon was a builder by trade and he managed the construction of many houses in the northern part of the City.”
The deceased is survived by the following children, all of whom are residents of Ogden: John D. Cardon, Mrs. W. D. Shaw, Mrs. Myrtillo Shaw, Mrs. Charles
Drumiller, Mrs. Clegg, 32 grandchildren and 7 great-grandchildren. He was a member of the High Priests Quorum of the North Weber Stake.”
“A singular coincidence in the death of Mr. Cardon is that his wife died under similar circumstances in the same way two years ago.”
“Funeral services will be held at the Lynne Ward meeting house at 2:30 P. M., Sunday. The remains may be viewed at the residence of Mrs. Drumiller from 10
o’clock to 1:20 on the day of the funeral.”