| THE FOGG FAMILY
|FOGG FAMILY (by William Fogg (54) of Eliot)The name of fogg appears to be of great antiquity in England and Wales. Some by that name were
from the county of Lancashire, near the borders of North Wales, and settled in the county of Kent, in the reign of Henry I, or about the year
1112 or 1115, or about fifty years after the Norman conquest; some of whom settled in the town of Ashford in that county (which is about fifty-
four miles from London) in the reign of Henry IV, or about 1400. There was a Sir John Fogg who founded a college in Ashford, and died there
in 1490; his son Sir John Fogg resided there; his will is dated Nov. 4, 1533, by which he appoints Edward Lee, Archbishop of York, overseer of
his estate. There was also a Sir Francis Fogg at Ashford, who acquired the manor Repton, by his marriage with the co-heiress of the Valoigns;
these families wre of high standing and of much consequence for many ages, but they are wno entirely extinct in Ashford, and perhaps in the
county. Calamy gives an account of a Rev. Rebert Fogg, an ejected minister in 1662, in North Wales, who from some traits in his disposition
we might reasonably suppose was nearly related to some (by that name) who early settled in this country.(1) But the common progenitor of
most, and perhaps all by that name in this country was Samuel Fogg, of Hampton, NH. According to the tradition, three brothers by the name
of Fogg emigrated from Wales to this country prior to the middle of the 17th century; two of them, Samuel and Robert or Ralph are said to
have settled in Rhode Island (if there was one) we have no knowledge. Robert or Ralph is supposed to have lived and died unmarried. But
Mr. Felt speaks of a Ralph Fogg in Salem among the first settlers of that town, but says that he returned to England. At what precise time
Samuel Fogg emigrated to this country is unknown, but he was evidently among the very early, if not the first settlers of Hampton, in 1638. He
married first Anne Shaw of Hampton, the 12th day, 10th month, 1652. She died about 1661. He married his second wife, Mary Page of that
place, about 1662. He died at Hampton, April 16, 1672. His widow, Mary, died March 8, 1699, aged 56 years. He was a farmer, owned a farm in
Hampton, on which he lived and died. He was early a member of the Congregational Church in that place, and probably Anne, his first wife;
his second wife joined it May 29, 1698. His children were:2--Samuel b.@16533--Joseph b. @16554--John b.@16565--Mary b.@16586--Daniel
b.4-16-1660M2 7--Seth b. @16658--James b. @16689--Hannah b. @1670
COAT OF ARMS
Origin Displayed: English - Spelling variations of this family name include: Fogg, Fogge, Foge, Fog and others. First found in Kent where they
were seated from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 C.E. Some
of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Whitting Fogg who settled in Virginia in 1653; Ralph Fogg settled in Salem
Mass. in 1630; John Fogg settled in Boston in 1630; William Fogg settled in Virginia in 1773. (From www.HouseOfNames.com Archives
copyright © 2000 - 2009). This interesting name, with variant spelling Fog(h), derives from the Medieval English "fogge" (ultimately of Old
Norse origin) meaning "grass left to grow after the hay has been cut", and was originally given either as a topographic name to someone who
lived by such a meadow, or as a metonymic occupational name to one who grazed cattle on it in winter. The vocabulary word is still in use as a
dialectual term in parts of Yorkshire and in East Lancashire. The surname is first recorded at the beginning of the 16th Century. On 20 July
1550 Martynus Fogge and Elizabeth Green were married in Whalley, Lancashire, an on 27 April 1557 William Fogg, an infant was christened in
the above parish. The name is also associated with Kent from an early date. On 21 October 1576, George Fogge was christened in Chilham,
Kent. Laurence Fogg (1623 - 1718) D.D. Cambridgeshire 1679, Dean of Chester, 1691, published several theological works. The first recorded
spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Thomas Fogg, witness, which was dated 1509 - The Fine Court Rolls of Norfolk, during the
reign of King Henry 8th, Bluff King Hal, 1509 - 1547. Surnames became necessary when governments introduced personal taxation. In England
this was known as Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing
variants of the original spelling. © Copyright: Name Origin Research www.surnamedb.com 1980 – 2014.
Darcy Lever and the Foggs
Darcy Lever is an area of the Metropolitan Borough of Bolton in Greater Manchester, England.
In 1557, Thurstan Tyldesley of Tyldesley took possession of Darcy Lever, together with several other manors and lands. Five years later
the Darcy Lever estate was mortgaged by Tyldesley to Richard Chisnall and Thurstan Baron. In 1566 land was sold by Tyldesly to Oliver
Chisnall and Thomas Lassell. Darcy Lever is mentioned as is Great Lever. By 1581, there was a large parcel of messuages and lands in
Darcy Lever, Lawrence Fogg and Thomas Heyton are named as plaintiffs. Fogg died in 1605 and the land passed to his son Richard.
Heyton died on 3 May 1587 and his heir was John Chisnall who was the son of Thomas, the brother of Richard Chisnall mentioned above. The
manor remained in the Chisnall family until 1635 when Edward Chisnall died. At the time of his death he was receiving a rent of £5 15s. In
1601 the above mentioned Lawrence Fogg and his new partner Robert Lever purchased lands from Chisnall. For this they were summoned to
Manchester to do their suit and service.
During the time the Chisnalls held Darcy Lever, Ralph Byrom held twelve messuages, half a water mill and fulling mill. Richard Fogg in 1612,
purchased land from Ralph’s son Adam Byron. When Fogg died in September 1630, the holding had increased to twenty messuages, a water
mill and moiety of two fulling mills along with other land in Darcy Lever In 1632 the mesne tenure had changed and Ellis Crompton after
two post mortem inquisitions about John Crompton (his father), held Darcy Lever directly. By 1665, the Bradshaws had taken a considerable
parcel of land for their estate. It is not sure how John Bradshaw (died 1662 ) and his wife, the daughter of Robert Lever, (who had purchased
some land from Chisnall) came about the land but it can be assumed that Levers daughter had inherited them and thus they passed to her
husband John Bradshaw. However the land came to them, the family estate grew and today they continue to hold large parts of the Bolton
area. At this time, 1666, Robert Lever had eight hearths liable to tax, James Bradshaw and John Crompton had seven each and Lawrence
Fogg six. The rest of the township was made up of 12 more heaths.
the parliamentary incumbent, put in a caveat (14 Sept. 1657) against Henry’s ordination as minister of Worthenbury, but afterwards withdrew it.
Accordingly, having undergone a lengthy but rather superficial examination by the fourth Shropshire classis (constituted by parliament, April
1647), he was ordained with five others at Prees, Shropshire, on 16 Sept. 1657. No mention is made of his subscribing the ‘league and
covenant,’ as ordered by parliament; he made a strongly Calvinistic confession, but said nothing about church government. His ideal was a
modified episcopacy on Ussher’s system. In 1658 a commission of ecclesiastical promotions took Worthenbury Chapel out of Bangor parish,
making it with Worthenbury Church (a donative) a new parish, of which Henry was incumbent. He declined the vicarage of Wrexham,
Denbighshire, in March 1659, refusing shortly afterwards a considerable living near London. He appears to have sympathised with the royalist
rising under Sir George Booth in August 1659. Mrs. Puleston died in 1658, and the judge on 5 Sept. 1659. Roger Puleston, their eldest son,
had no love for his tutor; they had even come to blows (16 Sept. 1656).
At the Restoration, which Henry, then newly married, welcomed as ‘a publick national mercy,’ Bridgeman resumed the rectory of Bangor, and
Henry’s position was simply that of his curate at Worthenbury Chapel. In September 1660 he was presented at Flint assizes with Fogg and
Richard Steel for not reading the common prayer, and again at the spring assizes, without effect.
Laurence Fogg or Fogge (1623–1718) was dean of Chester.
Fogg, son of Robert Fogg (who was an active worker for the parliament, rector of Bangor-is-y-Coed, Flintshire, ejected 1662, died 1676), was
born at Darcy Lever, in the parish of Bolton, in 1623, and educated at Bolton Grammar School and at Cambridge. He was admitted pensioner of
Emmanuel College on 28 September 1644, and was afterwards of St John's College. He held the office of taxor of the university in 1657. The
degree of D.D. was granted to him in 1679.
He was appointed rector of Hawarden, Flintshire, in 1655 or 1656, and was among the first who restored the public use of the liturgy. In 1662
he resigned his living, owing to an apparent ambiguity in an act of parliament relating to subscription, but he afterwards conformed. He
preached at Oldham on 20 May 1666, being then curate of Prestwich, and described as theol. baccal. In 1672 he was appointed vicar of St.
Oswald's, Chester, and on 4 October 1673 was inducted prebendary of Chester Cathedral. In the latter year he became vicar of Plemonstall,
Cheshire, on the presentation of Orlando Bridgeman, the lord keeper, and on 14 November 1691 was installed dean of Chester.
A candid, sober-minded churchman, he was well-regarded by more moderate dissenters, with whom he was on close terms. Philip Henry and
Matthew Henry both refer to him with appreciation. The latter in 1698 listened to one of Fogg's sermons with ‘singular delight.’ ‘I have from my
heart forgiven,’ he writes, ‘so I will endeavour to forget all that the dean has at any time said against dissenters, and against me in particular.’
He died on 27 February 1717–18, and was buried in Chester Cathedral, where a monument to his memory was erected by his son Arthur (1668–
1738), prebendary of Chester.
From British National Archives
TITLE DEEDS RELATING TO PROPERTY NEAR HILL MILL IN HALLIWELL ZAW/1 [n.d.]
No further details Counterpart lease: William Makant the elder of Halliwell, yeoman, to John Taylor of Little Bolton, merchant, Thomas Hindle
of Little Bolton, merchant, Peter Rasbotham, merchant, Thomas Fogg of Great Bolton, merchant -part of a watercourse called Dean Water and
a close of land called the Holme, all in Halliwell - for 91 years at an annual rent of £10 for four years, then £18.10.0 for, the remainder of the
term. 1 May 1791
Baptisms at St Peter
in the Parish of Bolton le Moors
Baptisms recorded in the Register for the years 1636 - 1650
1 May 1636 Thurstan Fogg s. of Ellis de Bolton
25 Jul 1636 Josiah Fogg s. of Lawrance de Darcy Leaver
31 Oct 1636 Oliver and Lawrance Fogg s of Edward de Tortonn
18 Aug 1637 Katherine Fogg d. of Ellis de Boltonn
14 Jan 1638 Edward Fogg s. of Edward de Entwisley
29 Apr 1639 Katherin Fogg d. of Lawrance de Turtonn
15 Feb 1640 James Fogg s. of Edward de Entwisley
12 Jul 1641 Lawrance Fogg s. of Lawrance de Tortonn
18 Jul 1642 Henery Clough b: s. of Rich: and Alice Fogg de Tong
15 May 1643 Elisabeth Fogg d. of Edward de Entwisley
6 Jun 1645 Robert Fogg s. of Lawrance de Torton
18 Aug 1645 Alice Fogg d. of Edward de Entwisly
14 Feb 1646 Tho: Fogg s. of Edward de Entwisle 11 Feb 1646
28 Nov 1647 Oliver Fogg s. of Lawrance 26 Nov 1647
9 Apr 1648 Alice Fogg d. of Edward de Tortonn 4 Apr 1648
11 Mar 1649 James Fogg s. of Lawrence of Tongue 6 Mar 1649
TONG'S FARM : Lower & Higher, Halliwell. Article written by By W. D. Billington
LOWER TONG'S & HIGHER TONG'S FARMS.
By W. D. Billington
This ancient farm is reached by walking up the steep incline of Longshaw Ford Road from Barrow Bridge until one reaches an unmade land
crossing the road. To the right of the track leads to Pendlebury's Farm whilst that to the left leads to Lower Tong's. The entrance to the farm
is on the left and just beyond the the lane takes a sharp turn to the right, going on to Higher Tong's and Collers' Row Road.
The property is no longer farmed but is the residence of Mr & Mrs Nick Gordon who have turned it into a delightful home without spoiling its
rural and historic aspect.
The farm goes back many years as is apparent when one views the masonry with its mullioned windows and splitstone roofs. The earliest
written record we have of the place is to be found in the Gerrard Manuscripts in the Reference Library. These are a collection of extracts of
indentures and deeds connected with Smithhills Hall Estates that were gathered and transcribed by a Mr Joseph Gerrard in the 19th century.
They are valuable source of information for researchers into the history of properties on Smithills Hall lands. The reference to the farm which
later became known as Lower Tong's is found in an extract of a copy of a lease and memorandum of the 14th July, 1713. This indenture was
made between Thomas Bellasys, Viscount Fauconberg of Smithills and two yeomen, Ralph Fogg of Blackrod and James Smith of Newton to
whom Lord Fauconberg "doth Farm Lett all that parcel of Lower Dean next adjoining Langshaw Ford Bridge containing 36 acres (These would
have been Cheshire Measure) and a quarter part of the moor know by the name Higher or Great Dean in the Parish of Deane and late in the
possession of James Pendlebury".
The word "Dean" is an Old English word synonymous with 'river valley' and the valley concerned is that of Dean Brook. Langshaw Ford bridge
is the predecessor of the one which stands today just before one reaches 63 Steps. The 'Higher or Great Dean' lies to the left of the bridge
and on large scale O.S. maps is named High Shores Clough and Lower Tong's lies overlooking the clough. In 1713 the land here would have
been an expanse of moorland for Colliers Row Road would not have existed.
An interesting advertisement appeared in the Manchester Mercury of 1st December, 1788, which sheds a little more light on this old farm. It
"To be sold at the house of Mr Phillips, the sign of the Crown in Bolton in the Moors in the County of Lancaster on Thursday 17th December,
inst., at 4 o/clock in the afternoon, subject to such conditions as will then and there be produced, all that leasehold, messuage, tenement or
dwelling house, barn, stable, shippons and other edifices and outbuildings thereunto belonging together with several closes of arable,
meadow and pasture, parcel of an estate called Smithlls Hall Estate, lying and being in Halliwell in the County of Lancaster, containing 24 acres
of the large measure there used, to be the same more or less, and now in the occupation of Thomas Fogg and James Booth (sic) as tenants
thereof and a yearly rent of £19 10s clear, free from taxes and repairs, all of which premises are held by lease of Miss Byrom of Manchester
for three lives all young and unexceptionable
Tenants will show the premises and further particulars may be obtained by applying to Mr Barlow of Little Bolton in the said County, Yeoman,
and Mr Smithson, Attorney at law of Bolton aforesaid".
Without a doubt this is Chaddock's but from where did James Booth come and what happened to James Smith?
Miss Byrom was the heiress of Edward Byrom of Smithills who preferred to live in her Manchester home at Kersall than the great hall at
Smithills. It was she who sold the estate to Peter & Richard Ainsworth in 1801.
There must have been some building there before the days of Fogg and Smith for we see in another useful document, the "Poor Rate Returns
of Halliwell 1798-1811", that in 1798, one Ralph Tong, the eventual name father of Tong's Farm, was occupying a piece of land called
"Chaddocks" and valued at £16 p.a. He was the successor to Fogg and Smith. The reference in the indenture to James Pendlebury also
points to the old name of Lower Tong's being Chaddock's because this James Pendlebury's family gave the name to Pendlebury's Farm and he
had previously farmed Chaddock's.
The Poor Rate Returns for 1801 reveal that Ralph Tong is still at Chaddock's but those for 1802 call the place "Tong's". We know it is the same
place name for the valuation remains the same and Chaddock's is no longer mentioned as a separate property.
It was probably the Ainsworths who built the second farmhouse nearer to the Turnpike road (Colliers' Row Road) after this highway was
constructed in the early 19th century and this farm became known as Higher Tong's. Deane Parish registers inform us that Ralph Tong was
buried at Deane in 1804 and Richard Ainsworth, who now possessed Smithills Estate, divided the land into two tenements - one based on
Higher Tong's and the other at Lower Tong's. The tenancy of Higher Tong's he seemed to have kept in his own hands as it is shown in his
name in the returns for 1806 valued at £8 p.a.. However, the older Lower Tong's, which is listed as also having a loom-shop, is valued at £9 p.
a. and is tenanted by Henry Rushton.
Looking now to the Smithills Estate Rentals for 1814 we find the Lower Tong's reverting to the name of "Fogg's" and still being tenanted by
"Widow Rushton" at a rent of £44 p.a. The Higher farm being now in the possession of Henry & Major Norris as tenants. Widow Betty Rushton
is still in possession in 1819 paying an increased rent of £53 p.a. whilst the Norrises are assessed at £60 p.a. although shortly afterwards they
moved to Bryan Hey Farm.
|Article from history of the massacre at Bolton during English civil war.
|Historical Gleanings of Bolton and District
edited by Benjamin Thomas Barton pg. 227