Winslow Farr Jr.
Winslow Farr Sr
Charles Buck Farr
Edit Parents
Emily Evelyn Farr
Lorin Winslow Farr
Nephi Horace Farr
Winslow Farr Jr.
Emily Jane Covington
Winslow Robert Farr
Edit Parents
Emily Olive Farr
Lafayette Thomas Farr
Lorin Freeman Farr
David James Farr
Moroni Farr
Mahonri Farr
Ida Almena Farr
Sylvia Mary Farr
William Henry Farr
Mary Isabelle Farr
1877-1877 ​
Barnard Elijah Farr
Aaron Aldebert Farr
Johnathan Farr
Susan Melvina Bingham
M 5 May 1873
Salt Lake City
Matilda Halverson
M 12 December 1878
Salt Lake City
Sarah Ann Mitchell
M 10 January 1899
Winslow Farr Sr
Olive Hovey Freeman
M 5 December 1816
Waterford, Caledonia,
John Farr
Aaron Freeman Farr Sr
Lorin Farr
Olive Hovey Farr
Diantha Farr
Winslow Farr Jr.
Almena Randall
M 22 January 1846
Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois,
Amanda Amelia Colburn
M 6 February 1846
Nauvoo, Hancock, IllinoiS
Achsach Sans Earl Cole
M 3 February 1856
Cottonwood, Salt Lake
Winslow Farr
Contributed By Platt · 7 June 2013 · 0 Comments

My Great Grandfather Winslow Farr was born Jan 12, 1794, in
Chesterfield, Cheshire, New Hampshire. The son of Asabel Farr
and Lydia Snow. We know what a wonderful family the Snow
family was. William Snow was one of the first Mormon pioneers
to enter the Salt Lake Valley, he became an Apostle. Also
Erastus Snow was ordained one of the twelve Apostles by
Brigham Young. Zerubabbel Snow, father of Lydia was
appointed first Justice of Utah.
Great Grandfather Winslow Farr was born of ardent ancestors
also. It would take a large book to tell of the achievements of
his progenitors, blood from a thousand different sources run into
his blood, from his birth back to 420 A.D. Here are a few of his
Ancient ancestors the progenitors of the Repuarian Franks,
their King Clovis who bore the title of "king of Cologne" 450 A.D.
His son was Siegbert "The LaIle of Cologne" died 509 A. D. At
this time Clovis was dwelling at Paris, he stirred up Cloderic,
son of Seigbert to kill his father "Siegbert the lame". But the
pit that he had cruelly dug for his father, he walked into himself
after killing his father while he was sleeping.
From Kings, Dukes, and Bishops, down to St. Arnuf the Bishop
of Metz, and many lings of different lands. Charlemagne,
Emperor of the West who married Hildegards, conquered
northern Italy and overcame the Saxons, Was crowned
Emperor by Pope Leo III, thus reviving the Roman Empire.
From him sprang many Kings down to Hugh the Great Count
of Paris. Hugh Capet, King of France, King Henry I, king of
France married Anne of Kiev of Russia.
Sair de Quincy, Earl of Winchester, died 3 Nov 1219 on
Crusade of Jerusalem, (married Margaret De Beaumont) Was
one of the Barons of England. To him is credited the rewriting
of the Magna Charta •. from the Charter of King Henry I and the
Saxon cod. This resulted in the granting of the Magna and the
securing of constitutional parts of the world. I studied about
these men in my history, but never dreamed they were my
I can't forget to mention William the Conqueror and Alfred. the
Great. Also among the signers of the Mayflower Pack were
Richard Warren and William Brewster, my Great Great
Grandparents. Thomas Prince was the ninth to get married
in the colony after they Landed in Plymouth.
Edward Winslow who signed the Pactand-in the Pact we find
the central doctrines of the Declaration of Independence,
and Jonatan Farr, Grandfather of Winslow who fought in the
American Revolutionary War and many others.
I can't find much of Great Grandfather Winslow Farr's life
before he was married. He married Olive Hovey Freeman,
5 Dec. 1816. the daughter of Elijah Freeman and Olive Hovey
of Hanover, New Hampshire. Just how he meet his bride we
have no record, but they were married at Waterford,
Caledonia, Vermont. They started their family life in that
beautiful valley of green rolling hills, and pure water streams.
He selected to Homestead its heavy forests, promising
meadows and make the roads on its mountainous trails.
It was no childs play to conquer rocky fields, and to clear
heavy forests for stock grazing and wool growing. There were
fish in the streams, wild animals to hunt, sap in the Maple
trees, delicious berries, hard and soft wood for the fireplace,
rocks to build the home, and logs for the cabin. These were
the welcome ventures of this untamed country for the
loving pioneers.
Their first baby was a boy and he died as an infant. After
that there were two boys and a girl born, which brought love to
this family, Aaron, Lorin, (my Grandfather,) and Olive Hovey Farr.
When m:y Grand father Lorin was eight years of age his parents
left this thriving little town and went further north, and were one
the first settlers of Charleston, Orleans, Vermont. Settling on
the Clyde River in a dense wilderness. There were two other
children born here, a daughter Diantha, a son Winslow Jr. Six
children in all.
They had no railroad. There were no large population centers
with in many mules. The coaches went through the valley daily,
almost by their door step. Their money was scarce, and they
made their own leather and shoes, ground their corn, wheat,
and soap, starch, hats of straw, and dyed their own woolen
Dishes were shaped and burnished to order; wool and flax
both filled the family loom. Furniture for every room was the
concern of father and sons. With the pride in their home and
a love for their Mother the young boys become strong both
physically and mentally. These lads learned to do many things
that helped them later as mountain pioneers.
Their back yard had a potters wheel. Milk pans, jugs, bottles,
pots, bowls, spoons of all sizes were shaped by directing fingers
and thumbs. Play pottery. for the children as well as dishes for
company were made of clay found on the hill. A kiln was set
up and the neighborhood would have a burning bee.
Cows were especially valuable. The younger boys would herd,
feed, and milk them, and the girls churned, colored and molded
the butter, made cheese, separated cream from the milk and
learned many ways of using this milk. As the animals lived in
faithful beneficence, it died for further utility, every piece of hide
was saved and tanned.
Soap was a family necessity. All fats and suet were carefully
collected during the winter in a large receptacle until a
sufficient quantity was saved for a year's supply. Great
Grandfather would spot a good hollow tree trunk from which
they could get a supply of beach. A strong barrel would be
filled with wood ashes and the lye would be drained off and
poured into a large kettle. As the grease boiled the lye would
be mixed and stirred in, and the scum would be skimmed off.
The entire family all knew the soap mix, its grayish color and
vile odor. They cut their soap in long slabs and let it dry and
harden, and then cut off the size desired. The children
wondered how such dirty looking and nasty smelling soap
could get clothes so clean and smell so sweet.
Amusement involved little expense. Bear and wolf hunting
was not uncommon. All kinds of parties were had. Harvesting
of corn was a real festivity. "Party Penelties" were looked for.
If a young fellow spied a girl with a red ear of corn at a corn
husking he was entitled to a kiss. If he saw a black kernel he
could spank the young lady or hold her while others-assisted.
There were parties for all occasions. Quilting for the older
ladies, spinning for the young girls, pea shelling, apple paring,
soap boiling, berry picking, pumpkin and squash gathering, all
these were cause to have parties. Candy pulling, corn popping
over a big log fire, making molds for the maple syrup and pouring
of the maple candy. Evening hours of happy candle light. What a
wonderful time they must of had. Singing and dancing with happy
In Vermont the church would ring a bell for the Sabbath and
all gambling and heavy work would cease. The children washed
and dressed in their best and went to Church.
Such was northern Vermont when two young men, "Mormon
Missionaries" came to Charleston. They were Orson Pratt, and
Lymon Johnson, who had come all the way from Ohio to
Charleston, Vermont on foot, a distance of eight hundred mules.
They stayed over night with Isaac Farwell Freeman. They came
to Great Grandfather next morning, he being a prominent man in
town, to see if he could get permission for them to preach in the
school house. Great Grandfather Farr asked what kind of religion
they had to preach and was answered that the Lord had raised
up a prophet by the name of Joseph Smith; that he had found a
record of gold plates, and was inspired by the Lord to translate the
characters on those plates which give an account of this continent,
that the Lord had revealed himself to this Prophet that organized
the true Church of Christ on the earth, "The Church of Jesus
Christ of Latter Day Saints," with all the gifts and blessings of the
Ancient gospel. These elders represented that they had been, by
divine authority, sent there to preach the gospel and wanted a
place to preach in. So Winslow Farr gave them the use of the
school house.
He went to hear the elders, Orson Pratt spoke first. He spoke of
the everlasting gospel as taught by Jesus Christ and his Apostles,
he also said that the gift of healing and the working of miracles
was in the Church for the people, "Lord's people in those days,"
that the Lord had called upon all men to repent for the true Church
was not on the earth until organized by the Prophet Joseph Smith.
They must be baptized for remission of sins and that they should
receive the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands.
Lyman Johnson spoke on the Book of Mormon.

Great Grandmother, Olive Hovey Freeman, who had been sick for
nearly seven years with a liver condition and had been confined to
her bed most of the time, was told she wouldn't live another year.
Her husband had been to a great expense with the doctors, who
said she had into consumption. That night before retiring to bed.
Great Grandfather Farr asked Elder Pratt to pray. In his prayer he
prayed for the healing of My Great Grandmother, Olive. After
prayer Elder Pratt went to the bedside and asked, "Have you faith
to be healed?" She said she had faith; she knew that all things
were possible with God. If it was His will that she might be healed
she believed that it would be done. "Elder Pratt then took her
by the right hand and asked her name, and said unto her, "Olive,
in the name of Jesus of Nazareth I command you to be made
whole." She was healed and made whole, in the twinkling of an
eye. She raised her- self and sat up in bed, called for her
clothes, dressed herself, walked around the room and sang
praises to God. It caused such rejoicing in the family that there
was no sleep that night. They accepted the gospel and the
family was baptized in May 1832 in the Clyde River, which
was near their home.

They started planning for an early journey to the west to join
the Saints in Ohio. It became a village concern. It was no small
task to sell 2,000 acres of land to reluctant buyers. Everything
was done by his towns people to prevent them from going with
the deluded Mormons.

It is of record that they sold a portion of his property for one-
fourth its worth and by September 1837 the teams were ready
and the family prepared to go to Kirkland Ohio. They turned
their covered wagons toward the setting sun. Before they left
Vermont they drove their teams to Waterford and stood
reverently over the graves of their beloved ancestors and baby.
Hillside flowers decorated the graves of some they would never
so honor again. A father, wife, three sons and daughters bid
adieu to life-time friendships and faced the land of promise in
a venture that for them opened the gates of Eternity.
I too wepted, partly with remorse and partly with joy, when I
read this my thoughts went back to the lovely fur trees and river
streams running close to their home and a farm of great earthly
riches, the hard work to make it so, the many friends and the little
playmates of the children. Great Grandfather being a very
prominent man, being Judge in that community, Great
Grandmother just getting well again so she could enjoy her
home and friends, then again, if it wasn't for them maybe I
wouldn't of found that opened gate to eternity, which I thank
them and God for having such Great Grandparents, for
having the courage and faith to leave their worldly possessions
and loved ones. It showed their faith for the everlasting Gospel.
"The Latter Day Saint's."
All the converts it seemed wanted to be near the Prophet and
help establish the new Zion. It had been four years since they
had first heard Elder Pratt and Johnson tell of the restoration
of the Gospel, the translation of the Book of Mormon, of the
mission to the Lamanites. It was 1832 that Joseph Smith and
Sidney Rigdon were tarred and feathered by an Ohio mob,
because of the new religion. It was at this time of religious
confusion and uncertainty that Great Grandfather Winslow
left Vermont and went to Kirtland, Ohio.
Traveling eight hundred miles up and down hills, fording rivers,
creeks, and when a road was found it was deep with mud or
dust. The horses and cows could not go too long or too rapidly
with heavy loads and time for browsing and feeding was
necessary each day. From early morning until three or four in
the afternoon was the usual time for travel. Then there was
wood to be gathered for the fire, water to carry, sometimes for
a great distance, grass or tree boughs for ground bedding, and
tending to the cattle. For their food supplies they would hunt
deer, grouse, and go fishing, these were the daily chores. The
camp was usually made by a small stream of water or by a
friendly lake. By nightfall some ten to thirty miles would have
been traveled. It was the first of Oct when the Farr's drove their
teams into the fast growing city of Kirtland, Ohio.
For miles away they could see the Temple On the top of the
hill. Grandfather, (Lorin Farr,) was the first to cry out,
"The Temple," Great Grandfather could hardly restrain his two
older boys from leaving the group, but a kindly voice told them,
"It will be there when you arrive." A brilliant shinning seemed
to emanate from the very walls themselves as the sun hit directly
on the front of the Temple.
Men of Northern Utah pp 177, The Ohio Guide Book, has this
to say. "Even the women joined in the undertaking, breaking up
their china and glass so that it could be mixed with the stucco
covering the exterior walls and bring about the glistening effect
noticeable today." They stopped their teams just outside the
village and reverently looked at the Temple and Father Farr
uttered a prayer of gratitude for himself and the family. The thrill
of accomplishment, the realization of their being near this
important work of establishing Zion actually shook off their
physical fatigue. The over worked father, his wife with a nursing
baby, young boys and girls who wondered if they would ever
reach Ohio alive, now realized their most cherished goal. The
boys and girls danced with joy while the mother sat in the heavy
wagon seat with tears of happiness. Her husband put his strong
hand on one of the faithful horses and took off his dust covered
hat, and said, "Mother now we can build a home in peace and
in the shadow of the Temple."
As an Elder he soon took his family to see the Temple, to
work on it and in it. He Saw a two storied sand-stone building
with an attic. The building being fifty by seventy nine feet in
size. Inside the beauty of the finished rooms revealed artistry
of the best trained carpenters and joiners. White oak, walnut
and cherry were the woods used for several rooms. The
stairways were graceful windings of the best possible artistry.
The pews and pulpits were all hand carved ornate with beauty.
As he looked upon the beauty, his words were thus, "Only the
world 's best workman could make a building like that." He and
his sons soon met the Prophet and many of the leaders,
including Brigham Young and were daily counted workers
among the workers for the Temple and the Town.
One of the first inquiries of his son Lorin was, "Could I see
and talk with the Three Witnesses to the-Book of Mormon?" He
soon knew them intimately. They were also anxious to see Orson
Pratt and ~ Johnson who brought them the Gospel.
The 1st of January 1838, a new year dawned upon the church in
Kirkland and in all the bitterness of the spirit of mobocracy, which
continued to rage and grow hotter and hotter until the Prophet and
Elder Rigdon were obliged to flee. They left on horse back to
escape mob violence. These were anxious days and trying ones
for the older and the new Saints. The Temple and city work was
carried on in quiet and solemn determination and the three Farrs
added their strength in the buildings. The Saints were informed
later that the Prophet and his family had arrived safely in Far
West two months and one day after their flight from Ohio. Some
of the Saints had the desire to follow their Prophet and leader and
no one was more keen to gather with the groups than Lorin Farr,
He felt if Joseph and his family would withstand the most severe
winter, he as a young man could easily travel in the spring.
Planning was shared by his Mother and the three men of the
Finally a plan was agreed upon where in the boys, Aaron and Lorin,
were to go to Far West and join the Prophet, and the father would
return to Vermont to make further collections on his lands. The
father and the sons parted at the Temple in Kirtland. It was hard
parting that spring and difficult, because no major crops had been
planted and the entire trip to Zion depended upon the success of
the father getting payments for his lands.

Great Grandmother waited patiently with her three younger
children She worked at the spinning wheel and sewed for
subsistence. A stone oven had been built to cook and bake her
food and ample wood had been cut and piled to last a winter.
The girls herded and milked the cows. There wasn't any mail
delivery for certain and Great Grandfather Winslow returned
without any exchange, and received little for his efforts and
attempts. He left Charleston, Vermont somewhat
bitter and disappointed. The boys were together till Lorin left
his brother Aaron at Terre Haute on the Wabash River, Indiana,
a distance of 433 miles from Kirtland with old Dr. Modaset. Lorin
arrived at Far West and went to live and make his home with the
Prophet Joseph Smith. The story of his life while living with the
Prophet is in his life Biography. Aaron arrived at Far West later.

Great Grandfather selling out everything again, started for Far
West to be with his sons and the good people of the Latter Day
Saints. Lorin (Grandfather) remained with the Prophet till fall,
when his father and mother arrived. They came by water with
Elder Hyde, Heber C. Kimball, Brigham Young and their families.
Ephraim Badger and family (his wife was father Farr's sister).
The water of the Missouri being very low at the time, it was
very difficult for the steamer to get up to Richmond, which was
the nearest point to Far West. It was very warm weather, and
they having to drink the river water became very sick. A few
days before they arrived they sent an express for Lorin,
then but a boy, to meet them with teams to Richmond, and he sent
sufficient teams which brought them all to Far West.

Great Grandfather couldn't of come to Far West at a more
time. They were having difficulties with Governor Boggs, and
several of their best friends were killed by mobs. As these troubles
increased so did apostates. Governor Boggs ordered the Saints to
leave Missouri or be exterminated, all the Saints knew that a
had been reached. The following day Hyrum Smith and Amasa
Lyman were taken prisoners. Who would be next? This was a time
of trial and faith, many thought that the Church had been struck
death blow in the imprisonment of their Prophet and leader. The
saints heard the prisoners sentenced to be shot on the public
square in Far West, Friday morning at 9:00 O'clock. No one slept
that night. Should they fight and rescue their Prophet, and
associates? Many thought they should. In Essentials of Joseph
Fielding Smith pp 241, it is written, "Brigadier General Doniphan
was to carry out the execution. He was told to take Joseph Smith
and the prisoners into the public square and shoot them at 9:000'
clock. General Doniphan replied to this order by saying to his
superior. "It is cold blooded murder, I will not obey your orders'
My brigadier will march for liberty tomorrow morning at 8:00 Of
and with your help execute these men, I will hold you responsible
before an earthly tribunal so help me God". This is what he told
Samuel D. Lucas Mayor General. According to agreement Colonel
Hinkle marched the Far West militia out of the city and relieved
them of all their arms. After this part of the betrayal, the armed
mob of the State Militia entered Far West and under a pretext of
searching for hidden arms, ransacked the homes, broke furniture
and dishes, scattered clothing and food into the fireplace, tore
bedding apart and the more violent forced the helpless men to
sign away their property and see their wives and daughters
molested. This caused many Saints to flee from the mob.

Great Grandfather and his family had been living in wagons and
a lean to which were not readily molested. As Great Grandfather
said, "They couldn't get much from us. If like many other faithful
Saints they must seek another location. The Nov winds were bad
at this time. They had left better place than this. The dream of a
beautiful home in a Prophet led community was shattered almost
before they arrived in Kirkland, the following of the Prophet to
Missouri where Zion would be built again, lifted their spirits and
another journey of hundreds of miles was started.

In the cold bleak winter, they crossed the Missouri and started
to build in Quincy, Ill. In this State they received a welcome.
Land was made available to them, but buildings were scarce, and
a remodeled barn became their dwelling there. They were living
here when Joseph Smith and his brethren escaped from Liberty
jail and arrived in Quincy. They left this place and moved to a
town called Lima. Here they rented a farm. This was a period
when no one of the church knew just what to do or where to
center their activities. The thoughts of giving up the Gospel was
never thought of. Great Grandfather was active in church work.
I find in the Journal History of 6 May 1839 where a General
Conference of the Church near Quincy was held. "History of the
Church pp 347." Resolutions passed that the following of the
Seventies have sanction of this council that. they accompany
the twelve to Europe. There were also six High Priests that were
asked and Winslow Farr was one of these men. This call and
privilege of going to Europe was a great joy to the Farr family.
They all set about making this possible for their Father. I can't
find anything more what happened to this growing family while
at Lima, ILL.

As soon as the Saints started to congregate to Nauvoo, the Farr
family went also. They had a building lot assigned them and the
father and two sons, with the help of the mother and girls set
about building another home. They felt at last they were to have
and they could look to the future, where the Temple would be
bigger and more beautiful. A swamp below the hill in the city of
Nauvoo had to be drained before it became livable. Part of this
boggy land was given to Great Grandfather and others. Each
able bodied man was to help in getting all the land below the hill
in a livable condition with streets, proper ditches and wells were
sunk on the hill tops, several springs were tapped for general
use. Gravel was hauled for the streets. Many of the new comers
got very ill of swamp fever. The Prophet tells us that Theodore
Turley's house was the first to be built by the Saints.

There is very little written of the period in Nauvoo from
1840 to 1843, about the Farrs, as the Saints were chiefly
concerned with drainage, water, streets, houses, stores. crops,
and civic  adjustments. The first conference held was 6 April
1840. The first funeral was that of Bishop Edward Partridge. The
Prophet's Father also passed away at 69 years of age and had
gone through many  experiences for the sake of the gospel. The
one which effected him the most was the arrest of his son
Joseph Smith and keeping him in jail. During this period Nov
1842 there were nine Apostles in Nauvoo. History of the church
can be found vol. IV pp 453. Our Prophet Joseph Smith was
arrested three times during 1843 On  requisitions from the State
of Missouri, almost every trip he made out of Nauvoo he had to
have guards to protect him, for fear of being kidnapped.

During the winter of 1842 and 43 Great Grandfather and his
sons, worked on the Temple and built a stone and adobe house.
Aaron, his son, was called on a mission through Ill, Indiana. and
Ohio and turned over the heavy farm work to his brother Lorin to
assist his father. After his return Lorin was sent on a mission
and at this time he was teaching school. He taught the children of
the Prophet Joseph and Hyrum Smith, Brigham Young. Heber C.
Kimb&ll, John Taylor and others.

The gathering of the Saints of Nauvoo had a spiritual motive,
It was however the spiritual life of Nauvoo that made the city
distinct. There came a revelation of the Lord on 19 Jan 1841.
Obedient to that command the corner-stones for the Nauvoo
Temple was laid the 6 April 1841. This was the third Temple on
record, and the. third Temple that Great Grandfather and his
sons helped to erect. The Prophet, when first commanded to
build a Temple to the most high. he not only received a revelation
and commandment to build a Temple, but he received a pattern
also as did Moses for the Tabernacle, and Solomon for his Temple.
Without a pattern he could not know what was wanted, having
never seen one and not having experienced its use. The Saints
knew by this time just what had to be done, the sword in one
hand to protect themselves from the mob while they placed the
stone and moved the trowel with the other, fire arms at hand and
the blessings of heaven the work went on.

When the Baptismal font was dedicated in the basement of the
Temple it opened up a new activity for the many Saints. We know
that Winslow and Olive Farr did baptizing for their dead in this
Temple. The first baptism was on 21 Nov 1841. With long weary
days, through hunger, thirst, weariness, watching and praying the
Temple was dedicated 30 April 1846.

It was not unknown to the Lord that the Church's stay in Ill.
would be brief. In Sep 1846 the Nauvoo Temple was in possession
of the mobs. By mid summer of 1847 the affairs in Nauvoo came
to such a low ebb that the Temple was obliged to be sold and save
it from pollution as a holy building. It was sold to a committee of
the Catholic church for $75,000.00 who polluted it to that extent
the Lord not only ceased to occupy it, but he loathed to have it
called by his name and permitted it to be purified by fire. A
in May 1850 blew the walls to the ground and thus the Temple was  
completely destroyed.  

My Grandfather (Lorin Farr) was married in this Temple,
7 Feb 1846, by Brigham Young to his 1st wife Nancy Bailey Chase
Grandfather was loved by the Prophet Joseph Smith. He lived with
the Prophet and learned to love him and his wife Emma. The
Prophet said many times, he would of liked him for his own son.
The first book of law studied by Grandfather was read in the home
of the Prophet at Far West. He started writing a daily diary which I
have never seen. In family prayers at the Prophets home he took
his turn and felt the power of prayer under the voice of the
Prophet.He visited the Prophet and associates while they were in
Liberty jail. He carried messages from Emma, the Prophets wife,
to Joseph and returned with an answer. (1 have a copy of one of
these letters in my book) He was one of the few to have the
privilege of being so close to the Prophet and to think I am his
Grand daughter gives me a feeling of admiration and love.

Aaron Farr the older son of Winslow married Persis Atherton,
16 Jan 1844 at the Mansion house in Nauvoo the Prophets home.
The Prophet Joseph Smith performed the ceremony.

The church being continually in fear of mob violence began to
evacuate Nauvoo for it was the intent of the people of Carthage to
clean out all the Mormon's. The many attempts to arrest Brigham
Young. now the leader of the church caused Brigham and several
others to lead out in a westward migration. By June 1846 about
five hundred wagons had collected on the Missouri river and
were with them. On Aug 7, 1846 the council of the Twelve
determined that the Saints in the west side of the Missouri should
settle together.

Accordingly a High Council was organized and Winslow Farr was
one of these men chosen. The place the Saints had chosen to
winter was called "Cutler's Park", in honor of their council leader.
In this group the training received by Winslow in Vermont was put
to good advantage. This camp was but three miles distant from
the place so to be known as Winter Quarters.

We know Nauvoo was attacked by a mob of men, some two
thousand strong, for about five days. Just what part the Farr
family played in this battle we have no available record, other
than Grandfather Lorin Farr's later statement. "We were in
Nauvoo when it was bombed by a mob." Several Saints and
members of the mob were killed. The mob entered Nauvoo
despite a signed truce and drove the Saints from their
homes. As fast as travel was made available citizens of Nauvoo
joined the Saints at Winter Quarters ••

Great Grandfather and Grandmother and their children and their
families hated to leave their lovely home and farm. Grandfather
Lorin Farr's home is still standing which is more than a hundred
years old and it reveals the sturdy workmanship. The small oven
bricks, the original weather vane is still standing on the roof laid
by Grandfather, his brother Aaron assisted by their Father Winslow
and brother in law, William Clayton. Brigham Young gave some
assistance in its construction, but his greatest help came in the
planning. The stones about the yard are some taken from the
destroyed Temple. Winslow had a lovely farm that meant so much
to him after all the hardships and hard labor to make it such. They
hated to leave their homes but they knew they would be free from

Some of the Saints left Nauvoo in 1845 but the great migration
occurred in 1846. This was when Winslow's two sons left. Their
father leaving later. Aaron was called to be one of the Pioneers
who proceeded the main body of people for the West. His outfit
consisted of a mule team and wagon with farming equipment,
seeds and provisions for two persons. His traveling companion
was Nathaniel Fairbanks. He left another outfit consisting of one
wagon, two yoke of oxen and two cows, for his family who were
to follow in June. At the crossing of Green River President Young
thought it advisable to send back a small  detachment to pilot the
oncoming migration through the Black Hills. Aaron and a few
others were selected for this duty. Sending his team and outfit on.
About two hundred miles below Fort Laramee he meet his family
and was assigned to go with his family in the Daniel Spencer
Company fifty, and travelled on to the valley of Salt Lake city
arriving 20 Sep 1847.

The best information I can gather in regards to the outfit of
Lorin assures us he drove a large wagon filled with implements,
seeds, furniture and various household goods, along with ample
bedding. A good milk cow and while it delayed the rate of travel it
paid for itself many times over. His wife Nancy drove a team with
a good spring buggy. The buggy could be made rain proof and
had a good  convenient bed. Neither Lorin or Nancy complained
of hardships on the trip. They waited until they were prepared for
the long trip and were willing to let each day bring its own
problems. Their camp was usually joyful. Circling their wagons for
the night to make ready for a program of dancing, singing, and
story telling. The Indians were plentiful and at times proved a
nuisance, but never a great danger. They would treat them
friendly and give them food (Church Emigration Vol 1) It was in
this camp that the two brothers met and they both arrived
together. Lorin, Aaron, and Diantha their sister lived side by side
on the block starting on North Temple and first West St. at the
South East corner of Salt Lake City.

Great Grandfather Winslow went out of Nauvoo as far as Winter
Quarters where he left Great Grandmother and their three
children, and went on a mission for two years to an Eastern
Mission. He had great success. By mid summer of 1850 Great
Grandfather was back with his family. (Find this in the journal
history 2 June 1850 pp 2). I read this notice and we are the
second fifty of Captain Snow's hundred, Gardner Snow Captain,
(a relative also) Joseph Young- President, Winslow Farr
counselor. They separated the company 15 June 1850 for
convenience to travel. An immigration company of one hundred
was organized on the Missouri River near Council Bluff, of
which President Joseph Young was appointed President,
Winslow Farr (Great Grandfather) Counselor, and Wm Snow
Captain. This being Joseph Young Company.

Great Grandfather went in joyous union into Salt Lake City and
went to his son Aaron's cabin in Big Cottonwood Settlement. The
Church once again united the Farr Vermont family and all were  
willing to take an unusual and important part in the up-building of
both Church and State ••

Their sons were over joyed when their fathers name was read
out by Brigham Young during the Great Salt Lake semi-annual
conference, 7 Sep 1851 that they were arriving. Great
Grandfather had been appointed to fill the vacancy of the High
Council of the Salt Lake Stake of Zion at the age of 56. In Nov
1851 he was appointed a member of the City Council.

On 6 April 1852 the Old Tabernacle (where Assembly Hall now
stands) was dedicated. Great Grandfather helped in building this
building and enjoyed a seat of prominence on its stand as High
Councilman until he died.

It was on Monday 14 Feb 1853 the Temple Block in Great Salt
Lake City was consecrated and the ground broken for its
foundation of the Temple. On 6 Apr 1853 one generation after the
founding of the Church, the Great Salt Lake Temple corner stone
was laid under the directions of the Presidency of the Church.
Quoting from Essentials in church history Smith pp 480, we read
this brief  description. It was a solemn assembly on the morning
of 6 April 1853 thousands of Latter Day Saints assembled in
Conference. President Young made a few remarks, saying that
in a few years we may have a place satisfactorily large enough to
accommodate the Saints, although twenty three years ago the
church was organized with six members. The Choir sang and
prayer was offered by Elder John Taylor. The procession then
formed in groups from respective districts and moved to the
foundation of the Temple.

The General Authorities of the Church and the authorities of
Salt Lake Stake took their places around the foundation and the
ceremonies of laying the corner stone proceeded.

Great Grandfather (Winslow Farr) was in the High Council of
this Stake, It was his privilege again to help build another Temple.
This time to stand forever. Not only was he there for this great day
but Great Grandmother and all their children and many relatives
were there. Today his Great Grandchildren and even Great
Great Grandchildren are entering this great Temple for their
endowments for life and eternity. I can't praise God enough for
having such great pioneers.

It was in Big Cottonwood, Salt Lake City, Utah, where Great
Grandfather settled. It was a beautiful place. The glory of the
mountains and the streams of rushing waters seemed a paradise.
His son Aaron and daughter Olive and families also had moved

The first trip Brigham Young made up this canyon was with
Great Grandfather and son, Aaron. Great Grandfather suggested
the road to Silver Lake and offered part of his land through which
the road should properly go for the purpose to explore a site for a
recreation celebration. So on 22 May 1856 he and his son Lorin,
and Brother Kesler started for Big Cottonwood Canyon along with

Brigham Young for the purpose to explore a possible road from
Salt Lake City through this district to the canyon. They located a
place and had a road made.

On the 23 July they were ready for their big celebration. Three
hundred wagons and carriages arrived from allover Utah. There
were Great Grandparents on both sides, Grandfathers, Aunts,
Uncles, and cousins of mine. It was here my Uncle Winslow
Farr Jr. played the fiddle for entertainment.

It was a merry sight to see, (described by Orson Whitney in his
first volume of History of Utah pp 600_618.) Wagons loaded with
camping outfits, human beings of all sizes and ages from tottering
silver haired veterans to the toddling or nursing child, wending
their way to different camping places greeting with glad faces
and happy hearts, friends and kindred along the way.
They laughed and chatted, talked of old times at Kirkland,
Nauvoo and Winter Quarters. Spoke of their past toils and trials
in the desert or the glorious times they anticipated having in the

Grandfather Lorin Farr, Captain James Brown and other prominent
men with their wives and families left Ogden and reached Salt Lake
City before night fall. They made beds in their wagon boxes for
those who could not find sleeping space in homes. At early
morning the Ogden band with the martial band played aroused the
people; and on the eve of 22 July, Grandfather took some of his
friends to have supper with his lather and mother in Big
Cottonwood. President Brigham Young was with this group.

On the 24 July 1857 the big celebration took place. It was a
very cold morning. Camp arose at the sound of the bugle, it was
indeed a memorable day. A nice program had been carried on
through the morning with songs, band numbers, raising of flags.
Later games, ball games, and dancing. There were no casualties
at this celebration. The Lord blessed each and everyone. What a
glorious celebration it must of been. From then on, the 24th of
has been a great day. Great Grandfather loved the mountains
almost too a passion. Trees, rivers, the wild life all fascinated him.
No joys were greater than taking his family up to Silver Lake to
spend the afternoon. He was been in council and measured
words before he spoke them. He got things done, so said his
children. His chief activities were with the Salt Lake High Council
and helping others in his latter days. Great Grandfather died at
the age of 73, at Big Cottonwood, Salt Lake City, Utah.

His children were:
1- John Far-r , Born 14 Dee 1817, Waterford, Caledonia, Vermont,
died 19 Feb 1818
2_ Aaron Freeman Farr, born 31 Oct 1818, Waterford, Caledonia,
died 8 Nov 1903. He married his first wife Persis Atherton,
16 Jan 1844 in the Mansion House-by the Prophet, Joseph Smith.
He went on a mission to the West Indies and also Northern States.
For the Territory of Deseret he was appointed to act as civil  
magistrate. He transacted the first judicial business in Utah. Being
Judge in 1859, elected by the legislature. Went on a short mission
to the Eastern states. Represented Weber County in the Lower
of Legislature 1872, and was Ogden City Treasurer for many years,
also Judge. He married his second wife Lucretia Ball Thorpe, 1855,
with Brigham Young performing the marriage. He had four
by each wife.
3--Lorin Farr, born 27 July 1820, Waterford, Caledonia, Vermont,
12 Jan 1909 at the Utah Hot Springs. He settled in Ogden 1850 ••
He was President of the Weber Stake, president of the high priest
quorum in 1850-51. Erected first grist mill and sawmill in Weber
County. A member of first territorial legislature, Weber County,
and in the earlier days represented Box Elder County. First Mayor
of Ogden 1851 to 1870 and reelected in 1877 for two more years,
22 years in all. Twenty years without p~. Went on a mission to
Europe 1870. Prominent in building of railroads, was
of grading Central Pacific for two hundred miles west of Ogden,
and also building of Utah Northern to Brigham City, Utah. He
married six times and my Grandmother Mary Bingham was his
fourth w1.te
~- Olive Hovey Farr, born 1824_25, Waterford, Caledonia,
died 8 Dec 1915 at Lewisville, Idaho. She married William Holmes
Walker 3 Nov 1843, at Nauvoo, III by the Prophet Joseph Smith.
She was a great Pioneer. She set out to join the main body of Saints
in crossing the plain, she drove two oxen , walking most of the
w~ from Missouri river to Fort Kearney. At this place she .t her
husband. Arriving in Salt Lake City, Utah 1 Oct 1847, and were
immediately assigned to the Old Fort. Later moved to Big
There first home was in the 16th Ward, where Olive became
of the Relief Society. They later moved to Depie, then to Millard
County. Then they went to Lewisville, Idaho, where they settled
the rest of her life.
5-Diantha Farr, born 12 Oct 1828, Charleston, Orleans, Vermont,
She married William Clayton, Jan 1845. He was a good man, the
Prophet speaks of him in Emma's letter. He was the Prophets
secretary. In the spring of 1846 they followed President Brigham
Young and the Twelve to the West. It was in the midst of this
journey that William Clayton wrote his great hymn of hope and
cheer,," All is Well, All is Well." They made their way to Missouri
River and spent the winter at Winter Quarters. In the spring her
husband was chosen by President Young to accompany the select
who were to journey west. He prepared a Guide Book which gave
valuable aid and advice to immigrants, showing the springs, creeks,
rivers, and hills, mountains, and the camping places from Council
Bluff to Great Salt Lake. They made their permanent home in the
17th Ward. For many years her husband held the position of
Auditor of Public accounts. He was the Treasurer of Z.C.M.I. store.
They were both buried in Salt Lake City, Utah.
6-Winslow Farr Jr, born 11 May 1837, died 18 Feb 1913. He married
Emily Jane Covington 17 Oct 1858. When he was 18 years of age he
began a journal, which he faithfully kept until his death. His
diary will tell his life history found in Gen. Library, in Salt
Lake City, Utah. He was the first bishop of the Ogden 3rd Ward.
Great Grandmother and Great Grandfather had a lovely family,
very brilliant and trustworthy. Great Grandfather was a teacher
a Judge so you can see he taught his children in the proper way,
both spiritual and intellectual.
He passed away on the 25th day of Aug 1867 at Big Cottonwood,
Utah. His wife ,Olive Hovey Freeman Farr, died 10 Mar 1893 at Big
Cottonwood, Utah.

Written by Great Grand-daughter,
Rhea Farr Wiggins